Our picnic today featured Shrimp-Rice Noodle Salad and Buckwheat Strawberry Shortcakes. The mason jar salad, inspired by Rachael Ray , was layered in a pint size mason jar with the dressing on the bottom. When shaken and poured onto the plate, the luncheon was ready to eat.
I layered each jar as follows:
- Fresh parsley and mint leaves
- Sauteed shrimp in minced garlic and sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ground roasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 tablespoon grated carrots
- 1/2 cup cooked rice noodles
- 2 tablespoon diced grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red lettuce, chopped
- 2 tablespoon grated radishes
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 teaspoon mirin
2 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
Juice from 2 limes
4 teaspoon rice vinegar
The buckwheat shortcakes were inspired by Eating Well. Mine are layered with fresh strawberries and a yogurt blend of strawberries, nonfat plain yogurt and 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup (makes 2 servings). The picnic was at Mingo Creek Park, a Washington County Pa. park.
My serviceware today featured a serving tray my husband gave me for Mothers Day and champagne glasses from our WV Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Gala held earlier in the week. Here's the the toast at the gala where we enjoyed Chocolate MOOtinis!