The summer farmers market is a place where many community members gather. RDNs can promote health and wellness by providing farm fresh sampling at the market.
First open your toolbox of ideas for combining healthy seasonal ingredients in meals served at home. Ask your school or place of employment if you can prepare food samples in the food service kitchen and utilize their commercial equipment. Contact the health department and market manager to inquire about a temporary permit. Space and temporary permits may be available at a minimal or no cost to a non profit. Find local sources for foods.
Suggestions for sampling:
- Fresh fruit smoothies made in a commercial smoothie maker.
- Fruit crumble served in covered and labelled souffle cups.
- Glazed peaches or applesauce warmed on a griddle.
- Meatballs, autumn vegetable soup, chili con carne or sundried tomato hummus served from a commercial soup crock.
- Improving the health of the people of the state.
- Advancing the education of the community.
- Empowering members to be food and nutrition leaders.
- Supports the farmer.
- Increases the farmers sales.
- Builds positive relationships with community members.
- Learning and enjoyment for the RDN.