Mushroom & Sage Lasagna
Folks of all dietary inclinations love this comforting recipe.
· ½ cup (70 g) raw, unsalted almonds
· ¼ cup (25 g) raw, unsalted pecans
· 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons unre ned coconut oil
· 1¼ teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
· Fresh-cracked black pepper
· Pinch of fresh-ground nutmeg
· 3 large leaves kale, chopped into small pieces
· One 9-ounce (255 g) package gluten-free lasagna noodles
· 2½ cups (340 g) cashews, soaked 4 to 6 hours, drained, and rinsed
· 1½ cups (360 ml) water
· ½ cup (65 g) pine nuts, toasted
· 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
· 5 to 6 sage leaves
· 1½ pounds (680 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
· 2 large shallots, sliced or diced (about 1 cup/80 g)
· 1 tablespoon Sucanat or coconut palm sugar
· 2 to 3 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
· 1 batch Maudie’s Tomato Sauce (page x), or two 24-ounce (680 g) jars pasta sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). In a food processor, pulse together the almonds, pecans, 1 teaspoon of the oil, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, a few grinds of pepper, and the nutmeg until dusty. Add the kale and pulse 3 times.
2. Prepare the noodles according to the box instructions—layer them in rows on sheets of parchment to keep the noodles from sticking to each other.
3. Make a cashew cream sauce by blending the cashews, water, pine nuts, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the sage until smooth; set aside.
4. Place the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, the mushrooms, shallots, Sucanat, and a pinch of salt in a skillet heated to medium. Stir occasionally for 7 to 10 minutes, until they caramelize and brown. Add the wine (if using), stir for 2 more minutes or until it cooks off, and remove from the heat.
5. Add 3 spoonfuls of tomato sauce into a lasagna pan; spread it around and top with noodles side by side. Spread a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce and cashew cream sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle with the mushrooms, season the layer with a pinch of salt and fresh pepper, then top with another layer of noodles. Repeat these steps, seasoning each layer with a pinch of salt and pepper, until all the noodles, sauces, and mushrooms are used. Sprinkle with the almond-pecan-kale topping, cover with parchment, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the parchment and bake 20 more minutes until bubbling.
The book is forthcoming:
YumUniverse Pantry to Plate
Improvise Meals You Love—from What You Have!—Plant-Packed, Gluten-Free, Your Way!
May 16, 2017